Closes January 15, 2018
- Teacher - Irene Garcia Middle School - La Joya ISD
- 8th grade Science
- Previously taught 7th and 8th grade ELA as well
- Avid Sketchnoter
- Graphic Recorder
- Twitter: @OmarLopez0207
G Sweet IdeasGoogle for Educations Updates
Google Updates and Tech News will now be in a separate episode at the beginning of the month.
- Two of the Admin Console ways to receive notifications will are gone.
- The Gmail Offline App or Addon will not longer work. Gmail will now work automatically by enabling it on the gmail settings under offline. However for G Suite users, it needs to be enabled via the Admin console.
- According to 9to5Google, Google hangouts will be upgraded to Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet. Some people use slackr, but if you use G Suite for education, try Hangouts chat first.
- Also, Smart Reply for Hangouts Chat is now available.
- You can now create and manage web apps though the admin console.
- Better group management in G Suite Admin console
- The Google Cloud Platform and Firebase will replace the Realtime API used in collaborative apps.
- Tools for migration and sync tools ending support for Win XP and Server 2003
- Avid Sketchnoter & Graphic Recorder
- Twitter: @OmarLopez0207
- Visual Thinking = Thinking Visually
- Hope to spark or reaffirm interest in thinking visually.
- Goal of educators: find the best way to help students learn
- Asking others to visualize is natural - almost automatic!
- Putting ideas into a visual - Thinking Visually or Visual Thinking
- Popularity of Sketchnoting or Visual thinking products?
- Visual thinking is a way of conveying something complex – a concept or a process – in a way that is easy to see and understand - others or self.
- It’s a way of seeing words as a series of images, pictures or symbols.
- Doesn’t have to be an illustration.
- Example: Annotated article - highlighted, symbols, underlined words, notes to the side
- Don’t have to be an artist to be a visual thinker!
- Quote: “Visual thinking does not mean replacing the word “car” with a drawing of a car. And being a good visual thinker has absolutely nothing to do with your ability to draw. ”
- Target different learning styles
- Auditory learners listen and draw key ideas
- Helps with spatial awareness
- Kinesthetic - gallery walk
- Hands on or tactile - Ex: using Legos
- Especially helpful for English Language Learners (ELLs)
- Studies support it drawing as a cognitive learning practice
- It’s easy to do - drawn map vs written directions!
- Students take ownership
- Visual information is processed more quickly than text.
- Improve retention of information and deeper understanding
- There is no wrong way of doing it
- Analog - Common inexpensive way - more accessible
- Colored pens markers and paper
- Favorite Personal tool: iPad Pro with Apple Pencil
- Devices in school
- As an educator and for student use:
- Google Slides and Spark Post - same username
- Icon add-on on Slides
- Easy to insert what they see in their heads
- Less time consuming
- Initially - strict and specific parameters
- Tailored and prescriptive objectives
- As Students progress more freedom is given
- Focused visuals help with STAAR writing -
- Deeper development of ideas
- Supporting DETAILS
- Flow and coherence
- According to Venturebeat, Google Duplex is rolling out to Pixel phone users.
- According to Google, Project Fi is now just Google Fi. No longer a project. And is now available to more including iPhone.
- According to Venturebeat, another exploit found by Google on google plus pushing the shutdown earlier from August to April.
- According to Windows Central, Microsoft will abandon Microsoft Edge browser for Google’s open source Chromium browser
- SPARK POST
- Great for creating visuals of ideas or concepts.
- Experts to Novice
- Readily available templates “to remix”
- Suggested styles
- Easy to share across multiple platforms - social media and Google Classroom
- Spark for Education - Sample lessons
- Check out https://spark.adobe.com/edu/ for teacher resources.
- Many final products
- Students can create and shore projects for almost everything
- Self Expression
- Explanation of Concept
- Persuasive Ads
- Real World connection
- Club and organization use
- Use icons and images
- Font style allows for clearer message
- Web Based or App
- Spark Post works perfectly on Chromebooks - good for schools!
- Is it available on iOS? - These two (2) apps are also available in iOS for free!
- Navigation menus is slightly different in iOS than web based!
- View previous apps on aced.tech/apps and change it to 2018 only.
Closes January 15, 2018
Google’s Best Apps of 2018
- Under the best game category is PUBG Mobile
- And under the Best app category is Drops: Learn 31 new languages
Postal Flip Call Out
- How do you use sketch-noting?
- Thanks to my supporters for making this show possible. If you want to become a patron, visit http://aced.tech/Sponsor